Baroness Ameline of Rowany (Lochac) issued a challenge to do at least 10 minutes of A&S every day for 100 days. If a day is missed, the count must restart. Here is the link to the original challenge if you are interested in more details: http://artsandsciences.lochac.sca.org/2017/04/100-days-challenge/
Here are my entries for days 1-20 (from Facebook):
My husband and I are attending Knowne World Dance and Music Symposium. This event lasts 4 days and has classes all day and a ball each night. I realized that I just didn’t have enough garb so I have been garbing my brains out every minute possible.
These are not A&S competition pieces. These are holy-shit-I-don’t-want-to-be-naked quick but serviceable pieces. All machine sewn. Hand finishing on some.
So here’s what I have managed so far:
Grey linen viking underdress (please excuse the wrinkles, I took it out of the hamper to get a picture)
Red linen viking apron dress
[image to be added]
Pale green linen fruit seller’s dress (this photo was taken while trying to figure out guarding)
Blue linen viking hood
Brown sideless surcoat (unfinished)
In addition, I altered the left sleeve of my GFD under and over dress (cotehardie). I made these several years ago, but I have lymphedema in my left arm so it was just too tight to be comfortable. I cut along the underside of the sleeve and added a strip. Now I can wear them with ease!
I put the swete bag on hold. I’ve put a lot of work into it… a year including the research, design and acquisition of materials. But I realized that I was either going to have to half-ass the rest to hurry things up in time for Stella Nova or take my time and finish it the right way for a future A&S faire. I chose the latter.
Here are some updated pictures:
This is after embroidering all of the flowers.
This was taken after doing the gold work and just started couching down the silver thread for the background.
Normally, the goldwork would have been done in an Elizabethan braid stitch, but as this is my first embroidery project ever, it was a bit beyond my skills. I chose to do the chain stitch as this is a period stitch, provided the texture desired and it was used on swete bags to form the smaller stems. I used three chains together to make it have more visual impact.
Here is one side finished. The oval in the middle will be filled in with green silk in a tent stitch once I finished the couched silver. That is where the fold will be and will be the bottom of the bag giving the illusion of a mound of green to ground the gold flower stems.
The camera doesn’t do justice to how sparkly the silver really is!
I’ve put this project on hold temporarily in order to concentrate on badly needed garb for June. But once that is past, this will come back to the forefront.
I am really excited to announce that I have taken a green belt and have been apprenticed to Mistress Porcia Secunda. Now to do my best to make her proud!
I’ve been a very bad blogger and have neglected updating for too long! I promise that I have not been idle and will make a huge effort to be better at posting. I’ll dedicate some time today to getting things up to date, but I’ll do that individually so that later things don’t get muddy when looking for something specific. To make up for being so shoddy, please enjoy this picture of a man riding a chicken!
Our local group held an event this weekend. The weather this time of year is unpredictable and can be comfortable or as hot as Hades. I don’t have that much garb for the SCA period left as I gave most of it away a few years ago. My one nice outfit includes a wool hood. I really didn’t want to wear that in sweltering heat. And, as I was working the tournament list, I was going to be outside all day.
So I came up with the idea of doing an Italian fruitseller style outfit (the theme was italian). I didn’t have much time and the gown didn’t get finished. I only managed to finish the muslin. However, I did get the camicia/smock done. I wore it under an old Italian gown from many years ago. As it turned out, the weather was gorgeous and cool so I could have worn the wool hood but I was super comfortable in the loose sleeves so it all worked out in the end.
Here is the camicia. Please excuse the wrinkles. The event was yesterday so it was smushed under my bodice all day. If I find a good picture of me taken yesterday wearing it, I’ll add it.
Life has been a bit crazy lately with a minor health problem of my own which has interfered with my ability to comfortably embroider and a major health problem with one of my dogs. The poor baby:
But she is on the mend now and I am better and able to continue on the project. I wanted to post an update of the progress.
So much to do! Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking! LOL But I know I’ll love it once it is done.